What do you already know? What do you have still to learn?
We all have blind spots, we all have gaps in our knowledge, and we're all still learning. Take our eight question quiz to discover how much you already know about domestic abuse, and hopefully learn something new along the way! You'll find the answers at the end (no cheating!)
1. How many women in the UK experience domestic abuse?
a) 1 in 3
b) 1 in 4
c) 1 in 7
2. How many UK churchgoers have experienced domestic abuse?
a) 1 in 4
b) 1 in 6
c) 1 in 12
3. Domestic abuse always includes physical violence. True or False?
4. In 2019, what proportion of defendants in domestic abuse prosecutions were men?
5. All men who abuse women are mentally unwell. True or False?
6. The Crime Survey for England and Wales (2017) found that the majority of survey respondents thought it was always unacceptable to hit or slap a partner.
What proportion of respondents said it was acceptable to hit or slap their partner in response to them flirting with other people?
7. What percentage of our survey told us they'd never heard domestic abuse mentioned in a sermon?
8. From our survey, what percentage of perpetrators were Christian?
- b) 1 in 4.
- a) 1 in 4 churchgoers experience domestic abuse.
- False, not all abuse is physical. It can include, but is not limited to: emotional, spiritual, financial, sexual, or psychological abuse.
- 92% of prosecutions were men.
- False, not all abusers are mentally unwell.
- 2% thought slapping was acceptable in response to flirting.
- 57% had never heard a sermon mentioning or condemning abuse.
- 56% of abusers in our survey were Christian. Is your church equipped to respond to perpetrators and journey alongside them?
Keep on learning
Did these statistics surprise or intrigue you? To learn more about our survey of abuse 'In Churches Too', we've compiled all the data into an easy-to-read infographic. You can download it for free to share with your community.